Thursday 26 March 2015

Diary of a Street Photograper - Part 2

Day 1: City Centre, Bristol

Spent an afternoon shooting in the city centre this week.  Nothing really exciting happening.
Had a chat with a big Issue seller near St Nicholas market who agreed to a portrait shot.  Good subject becasue he was not all smiles.  Looking at the camera and smiling can really kill the shot. Sometimes I tell people to look away and don;t smile unless they have a really really interesting face.


Just off Corn Street near the court chambers I come across a very strange object dangling from the top window of a building.  It was actually a Doll covered over with a union jack umbrella. Oh I see now.  The baby doll, its been hanged.  Yes hanged..  What does this mean. I have no idea.  See what you make of it. Bristol is weird.


Walked up down to Nelson Street and caught a good one of a guy in a pub reading a book.



Day 2 : Stokes Croft

Back in good old Stokes Croft.  There is always something going on around here.
Decided to go a bit further up down Picton Street.  Spotted a mannequin in a doorway so took a shot of that.  A big black dude was leaning up against a post so sneaked up behind and took a back shot.  Looks ok actually but lost a bit of contrast on his head due to bad composition.



It seemed really quite so headed back down Cheltenham Road and took a picture outside a cafe.
Looking at it now it is well composed and looks as if the guy is saying something to the people in the Cafe.  I dunno maybe I have taking too many pictures recently but it looks like there is a story in the picture somewhere.  See for yourself.


Further down I caught a guy unloading stuff in to the shop and an interesting looking lady also was in the frame.  Looks ok.



Then I hear a crash and a guy screaming.  Oh dear a middle aged lady has just taken some bloke out with her car door.  He is not happy.  Is he hurt?  Do I take a picture of him on the floor.  I am not a photo journalist so wander over to see if he is ok.  Hey I got morals.  He is actually ok, not sure about the bike though.  So  things are starting to happen now as it usually does when shooting street but time is running out and need to head back to the office to do some work.

See a mirrored wall and cannot resist another reflection shot.  Did I say I was going to stop this type of picture taking.  Oh well anyway   someone has scribbled a box with smile above it.  A bit like a a frame.  Was this intentional.  mmm.  

Cross over the street to head to the bear pit and see a kid with his mum.  The kid is doing something really cool. I have this thing where I feel really uncomfortable taking pictures of kids,  but its going to be a well composed shot,  so i just take it but due to nerves I fluff it right up.  The picture sort of works on an artsy type level but other than that it really looks like its been taken by a guy who has not done his homework.  It would have been a really good picture If it was not due to my fear of  taking pictures of kids.  If someone was taking pictures of my kids I would not be happy. Lets end it there for now.


Another reflection shot.  Good,  Bad,  hard to tell.  I have done so many of these now I really should stop.  I am getting worried now.




Down through the bear pit I spot a dog on a table with two young lads (not kids)  so I take a snap.
The kid looks pissed off and I say I like dogs.  he says ok fine but he is not happy.  I guess I must look like a copper.



Couple of goths stroll looking in love haha, so I take picture.  Ahh young love.




And thats it untill next time :)















No comments:

Post a Comment